Vision, Mission, Values & Goals
To preserve our past while assuring an economically, culturally, and environmentally sustainable future.
We plan, partner, and provide superior services and a safe environment in our thriving, authentic community.
Pursue affordable and attainable housing by:
- Coordinating with the Yampa Valley Housing Authority, Routt County, and the Brown Ranch Steering Committee to help move the Brown Ranch project forward as quickly as possible
- Evaluating and adopting policies and legislation from other communities that have successfully resulted in built employee housing.
- Design, develop and construct city employee housing projects including Barn Village and SST seasonal housing
Address the city's short-term rental issues through:
- Adoption of regulatory policies (possibly zoning), enforcement rules, licensing procedures, and establishment of a fee structure
- Evaluating the possibility of a November 2022 ballot question for a short-term rental excise tax or a vacancy tax.
Improve and increase transportation and mobility options for the residents and visitors of Steamboat Springs.
- Pursue a Regional Transit Authority in partnership with other local governments. Ensure alignment of goals with the Innovative Transportation Task Force
- Implement the recently adopted Transportation and Mobility Master Plan
- Investigate and pursue transportation related funding sources for future west Steamboat development
- Partner with Routt County, Steamboat ll Metro District, and SSSD to construct the Core Trail west, and consider further expansion of the Core Trail
- Provide background information and evaluate options for paid parking as a possible revenue source for transit (SST or RTA)
Long-and Short-Term Water Planning
Plan for a secure water future for The City of Steamboat Springs by reviewing and updating the city's water agreements, implementing effective water conservation policies, planning for expansion of the wastewater treatment plant, and planning for the Elk River Water Treatment plant design and construction.
Ongoing City Council Efforts (non-prioritized)
- Continue with the city’s DEI efforts
- Schedule regular Joint Meetings with Routt County Commissioners (6 meetings). Initial topics include:
- Core Trail extension
- Childcare and after school programs
- Short Term Rentals
- Community Resiliency; mental health, food insecurity, substance use disorder (SUD)
- Water conservation
- Adopt the Mountain Area Master Plan
- Continue discussion on Fiscal Sustainability and consider:
- STR tax
- Lift Tax
- Sin Tax
- Repurposing 2A Funds
- Other potential taxes and fees
- Discuss Fire Mitigation at a work session this spring
- Be proactive with Environmental Sustainability in all our actions, to include:
- Climate Action Plan implementation
- Active participation in the Climate Action Collaborative, including finding a funding source, integrating into our decision-making, and adoption of relevant policies
- Community resiliency
- Solar Projects
- EV Readiness
- Proactive organization actions