Unless granted an exemption per Section 12-571(d) of the Steamboat Springs Revised Municipal Code, it shall be unlawful to advertise, offer, provide, or operate a short-term rental, hosted short-term rental, or temporary short-term rental in the City of Steamboat Springs without first obtaining a license.

A grace period to lawfully operate a short-term rental without a license extends through April 30, 2023 for STRs located in the STR Overlay Zone A (green) and STRs in Zone B (yellow) or Zone C (red) with either a valid VHR permit or an approved or pending legal nonconforming use application. 

How do I apply for a License?

All applicants should begin by downloading and reviewing the STR License Application Guide and Frequently Asked Questions.

Applications will only be accepted through the CityView Portal.

What type of License do I need?

There are 3 types of STR licenses:

  • Short-Term Rental - Required for any STR that is not licensed as a Temporary or Hosted STR.
  • Temporary Short-Term Rental - Required for the Temporary STR (maximum of 2 occurrences and 30 cumulative days per calendar year) of a Primary Residence.
  • Hosted Short-Term Rental - Required for the STR of one guestroom (maximum 400 square feet).
STR Application Guide Image

Application Documents

Additional Documents

Are any properties exempt from STR Licensing?

Section 12-571(d) of the Steamboat Springs Revised Municipal Code allows the City Manager to exempt short-term rentals from certain operational standards and the requirement for licensing upon demonstration that the short-term rentals are:

  1. A group of short-term rentals located within a development in STR Overlay Zone A.
  2. Operated by property management that has all of the following:
  • On-site 24-hour staffed desk.
  • 24-hour telephone system that is monitored by a person.
  • 24-hour staff capable of responding to complaints involving the property's STR units within one hour of being notified of the complaint between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. and within 30 minutes of being notified of the complaint between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m..

STR License Exemption Application Forms and supporting documents can be submitted via email to the Planning Department.

Do STR Licenses transfer with the property?

There are only several circumstances where reissuance of an STR License due to a transfer or change of ownership is allowed. Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.

  1. Samantha Harles

    Short-Term Rental Compliance Officer

  1. Paula Ross

    Short-Term Rental Technician