Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue was dispatched to 747 Anglers Pond for a Chimney Fire. Due to the call arriving at shift change SSFR was able to respond with 13 personnel staffing One Engine, One Truck, Two Ambulances, and One Command Vehicle. Upon arrival on scene Incident Command was established by Captain Scott Hetrick who determined that there was a smoldering chimney fire. Initial strategy involved sending one crew to the inside of the structure to confirm that there was no other part of the residence involved and that all occupants were clear of the building while a second crew was sent to the roof. The interior crew determined that the residence was evacuated and noted that the fire appeared to be confined to the chimney chase.
The second crew set up a portable ladder to gain access to the chimney on the roof. Once on the roof the crew removed the metal housing around the brick chimney and then accessed the chimney chase. Heavy amounts of creosote and ash were found in the chimney with more than half the pipe being filled in. Using a long pike pole the roof crew knocked the creosote and ash off the side wall of the chimney pipe catching the ash in the residence below. With removal of the creosote the fire was extinguished.
The cause of the fire was determined to be due to a dirty chimney pipe. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue would like to remind people that chimneys need periodic cleaning even as we near the end of the winter season. There was no damage to the residence, and no injuries reported by personnel or residents. The owners were allowed to return to their residence within minutes after the SSFR mitigated the incident. For further questions contact Captain Scott Hetrick at 970-879-7170.