Steamboat Springs Police Department officers responded to a call early on the morning of Saturday, June 29, 2019. Due to the nature of the call and the individual involved, SSPD requested the assistance of the Routt County Sheriff’s Office in investigating the incident.
The Routt County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) subsequently arrested Mr. Fabian Avitia, a Steamboat Springs Police Officer, and booked him into the Routt County Jail on the following charges:
- Obstruction of Telephone Service – CRS 18-9-306.5 Class 1 misdemeanor
- False Imprisonment – CRS 18-3-303 Class 2 misdemeanor
- Prohibited Use of a Weapon – CRS 18-12-106 Class 2 misdemeanor
- Criminal Mischief – CRS 18-4-501 Class 3 misdemeanor
- Domestic Violence – CRS 18-6-801
Officer Avitia, who has been employed with the SSPD since December 2018, has been placed on paid administrative leave and the department will be conducting an administrative investigation. The SSPD is cooperating fully with the RCSO during their ongoing investigation of this matter.
Any questions concerning the criminal investigation should be directed to the Routt County Sheriff’s Office.
All charges are merely accusations and that the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Cory Christensen, Police Chief, 970.879.4344 or email
Annette Dopplick, Commander, 970.879.4344 or email