Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
The Combined Law Enforcement Facility (CLEF), a joint project between the City of Steamboat Springs and Routt County, moved past the construction midway point recently, surpassing the 60 percent completion mark.
“The CLEF is really taking shape and coming to life,” said City Council President Pro-Tem, Kathi Meyer. “While there’s still work ahead, the collaborative efforts by the city, county, contractors and owners rep, have resulted in significant momentum in a short time and set the project up for success as we close in on completion.”
The CLEF moved past the 60 percent completion mark earlier this month, ahead of schedule by a few weeks and on budget. In addition, Calcon has moved through some of the risker cost elements of the project at this point as well as reached their goal of being weathered-in with the roof on before winter, saving on winter protection costs. The City and County are carefully managing contingency funds on both the construction and owner’s representative portions. Any leftover contingency monies would be returned at completion to both government entities.
“The citizens of the community will benefit greatly through this partnership,” said County Commissioner Tim Corrigan. “We’ll have a building that meets the needs of our citizens for years to come and allows local agencies to work more closely together for the benefit of the community. In addition Routt County was able to expand this project to accommodate the planned relocation of our E911 Communications Center with significant savings.”
The focus of the project is shifting past the halfway point and centering more on the interior of building including framing, ducting, hydronic piping, insulation, elevator installation and a variety of mechanical items. Over the early part of the New Year, exterior work, including masonry, metal siding and window glazing, will be finalized. In March, the project concentrates on finishing details to accommodate the targeted spring move in date. Built to the most energy efficient levels under the current code, the facility also emphasized a preference toward local materials and companies where possible. Take for example, all the stone and brick installed was quarried and kilned in Colorado.
At this time, it is anticipated that both the Routt County Sheriff Office (RCSO) and Steamboat Springs Police (SSP) would occupy the building in late-May, followed by the Routt County Communications Center arrival sometime in July. After the initial move, the former RCSO building would be remodeled to accommodate extensive evidence and laboratory areas.
“The construction team has been making vigorous progress while ensuring a safe working environment,” commented Calcon executive Jim Kohler. “This project is quite different than simply building a standard office building, but intertwines heightened security elements that incorporate ballistic materials, privacy aspects and safety essential for the public and peace officers.”
The $19.2M project is funded jointly between the city and county, with the city covering 60% and the county covering 40% of the CLEF facility. In addition, the county is responsible for the entire cost (100%) of the communications center and 10% of the CLEF garage with the city picking up the remaining 90%. On top of the joint funding, a $1 million state grant was awarded to the project.
Kathi Meyer, Steamboat Springs City Council, 970.819.4198 or email
Tim Corrigan, Routt County Commissioner, 970.879.0108 or email
Gary Suiter, City Manager, City of Steamboat Springs, 970.871.8240 or email
Tom Sullivan, County Manager, Routt County, 970.879.0108 or email
Jim Kohler, VP, Calcon Constructors, Inc. 970-819-4590 or email