Pet Licensing & Permits

ACO-License Opens in new windowHelp us help you! Returning a lost pet to its owner is so easy when they are wearing their current Routt County License and an Identification tag. Get your pets licensed now at the Routt County Humane Society (RCHS) Animal Shelter or your own Steamboat Springs veterinarian.

All animals in Routt County are required by law to be licensed every calendar year. The City of Steamboat Springs Municipal Code recognizes the Routt County license for its requirements. All licenses expire December 31 of the year issued, and the next year's license must be purchased by January 31.

Don't Forget....Laws Require that All Dogs MUST Wear the Current License on their Collar.


To license your dog or cat at the RCHS, you will need to bring the following:

  • Current rabies vaccination certificate - not the metal tag
  • Proof of spay or neuter operation
  • Fee for license(s)


To license your goat or pig at the RCHS, you will need to bring the following:

  • Fee for license(s)

Licenses Fees - Payable to Routt County Humane Society

760 Critter Court, Steamboat Springs, 80487 | 970.879.7247 |

Type of LicenseFee
Altered dog or cat$5
Non-altered dog or cat$25
Goat or Pig$5
*Replacement license$2  (*Purchased at RCHS Shelter only)

NOTE: Routt County licenses may also be purchased through Steamboat Springs veterinarians if you are a client of:

  • Mountain Peaks Veterinary Clinic
  • Mt. Werner Veterinary Hospital
  • Steamboat Veterinary Hospital


If you own pigs, goats or chickens within city limits, contact Routt County Humane Society for licenses, and City Code Enforcement regarding regulations for these animals. Community Development Code and the Municipal Code outline criteria for keeping animals. 

NOTE: Licensing any dog, pig, goat or cat comes under Muni Code Chapter 4, Section 4-22. However, the dogs and cats get the Routt County license to fulfill the city’s requirement. It is obtained by showing the rabies certificate. On the other hand, Pigs and Goats don’t get a rabies vaccination, and must obtain a city tag..


Residents of the towns of Hayden, Oak Creek, and Yampa require their own licenses.