Ski Free Sundays
Due to current COVID-19 capacity restrictions, Howelsen Hill Ski Area will be implementing a reservation system for Ski Free Sunday's. While we hope that this will only be necessary for a portion of the season, please know that this may extend throughout the entire season depending on our current local and public health orders.
Ski Free Sunday Reservation Information & Instructions
- All non-season pass holders will be required to make a reservation for Ski Free Sunday
- Reservations are only required for ALPINE tickets (downhill skiing and snowboarding).
- Reservation are no longer required for NORDIC tickets (skate and cross country skiing), however you still need to pick up a free ticket from a Ski Free Sunday ambassador (located in the a-frame huts near the main Howelsen Hill entrance and parking lot).
- Guests will be able to make a reservation for a two hour time slot (3 total time slots available)
- 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM
- 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- A total of 300 ALPINE tickets (downhill skiing and snowboarding) will be available per each time slot.
- Please be considerate of other users and only make a reservation for one time slot - making reservations for consecutive time slots is not allowed. WE WILL NOT MAKE YOU LEAVE IF YOU STAY LONGER THAN YOUR TIME SLOT, SO PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR MULTIPLE SLOTS.
- One person can make a reservation for a group, but is limited to 4 tickets per reservation.
- Guests with reservations may arrive at Howelsen Hill 30 minutes prior to their reservation start time to pick-up their tickets. Please do not visit the concession stand to pick up your free tickets, a tent/a-frame with a "Ski Free Sunday Tickets" banners will be located in the parking lot near the main entrance.
- If you have made a reservation and are unable to attend, please go online and cancel your reservation so that others can enjoy Ski Free Sunday.
- Season pass holders do not need to make a reservation.
Ski Free Sunday Overview
Sunday Funday is taken to an entirely new level as Howelsen Hill hosts Free Skiing every Sunday throughout the winter season. Now your family can enjoy the slopes for absolutely FREE at North America’s Oldest Operating Ski Area and Steamboat’s original ski area.
Steamboat Springs City Council approved free skiing on Sundays five years ago and ushered in Colorado’s most affordable Sunday lift ticket as a way to celebrate the community’s Olympian spirit and honor the tradition of this historic ski area. Skiing since 1915, Howelsen Hill has produced nearly 100 winter Olympians and has helped generations of Steamboat residents enjoy the sport.
During the season, it’s as easy as simply stopping into the lodge to pick up your free ticket, which is required to access the lifts and the Nordic trails (cross-country, fat bike and snowshoe) on these special ski free days. Over the winter, specific Sundays could see limited or closed terrain due to special events or competitions. In addition, select Sundays will also see Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club training on a portion of the Face.
For more information, call 970.879.8499 during regular business hours.
|November 29, 2020||Early Season Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required, Limited Terrain, No Nordic Skiing, No Chairlift|
|December 6, 2020||Early Season Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required, Limited Alpine & Nordic Terrain, No Chairlift|
|December 13, 2020||Early Season Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required, Limited Alpine & Nordic Terrain, No Chairlift|
|December 20, 2020||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required, Limited Alpine & Nordic Terrain|
|December 27, 2020||Regular Ski Free Sunday & Christmas Weekend||Reservations Required, Limited Alpine & Nordic Terrain|
|January 3, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday & New Year's Weekend||Reservations Required, Limited Alpine & Nordic Terrain|
|January 10, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required, Limited Alpine & Nordic Terrain|
|January 17, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday & MLK Holiday Weekend||Reservations Required|
|January 24, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required|
|January 31, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required|
|February 7, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required|
|February 14, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday & President's Weekend||Reservations Required|
|February 21, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required|
|February 28, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required|
|March 7, 2021||Regular Ski Free Sunday||Reservations Required|
|March 14, 2021||Final Ski Free Sunday & Closing Weekend||Reservations Required|
Ski Free Sunday Sponsorship
For the fifth season, Howelsen Hill Ski Area will offer snow lovers the unique opportunity to ski for FREE every Sunday throughout the 2020/2021 season.
We are excited to announce a new opportunity for businesses and organizations to get involved and support Ski Free Sundays and historic Howelsen Hill. Not only will your sponsorship help maintain Ski Free Sundays, it will also help support the continued operation of Howelsen Hill for generations to come.
Contact Emily Hines at 970.871.7031 or by email to be a part of the community's best Sunday gathering!
To stay up-to-date on changing conditions, call 970.879.8499 or the Nordic Hotline at 970.871.7084.